allergies

What are symptoms and signs of a mold allergy?

Families that are dealing with sinus, allergy and/or asthma issues are usually also dealing with mold/fungi issues. The Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) reports that over ½ of all asthma patients were advised to change their living environment to control their asthma symptoms. Both the Center for Disease Control and The World Health Organization have identified Mold as a serious form of indoor air pollution that can contribution to various illnesses and higher mortality rates.

Mold produces irritating substances that are allergens to sensitive people. Furthermore, some molds produce toxic substances known as mycotoxins. Allergic reactions to mold are the most common health effects of mold. These reactions can happen immediately or develop after a period of exposure. Both growing mold and mold spores may lead to allergic reactions. Symptoms of mold allergy may include: sneezing, runny nose, coughing, wheezing, watery eyes, and redness of the eyes, itchy eyes, skin irritation or rash.

In 2004, the Institute of Medicine (IOM) found there was evidence to link indoor exposure to mold with upper respiratory tract symptoms, cough, and wheezing in otherwise healthy people. Mold linked to the worsening of asthma symptoms in people who have asthma. Mold is also reported to be linked to hypersensitivity pneumonitis in individuals susceptible to this immunologic condition. This uncommon disease is similar to pneumonia and can develop in susceptible individuals after brief or prolonged exposure to mold.

Where can mold be found in homes?

You can find mold in any damp areas in your home. Drywall, ceiling tiles, carpets, furniture, ductwork, roofing, paneling, wallpaper, and areas near plumbing pipes are also locations in the home that can become infested by mold if the right growing conditions are present. 95% of the time mold growth will be in areas of the home that you can’t see such as wall studs, sheet rock and in HVAC ventilation systems. The spores from this mold growth will continue to be circulated throughout your home and continue to cause problems until the mold is removed.

mold

Molds reproduce by forming spores that are not visible to the naked eye. Mold spores are very hardy and can survive in both dry and harsh environments. These spores travel through outdoor and indoor air. When the mold spores land on a surface where moisture is present, mold can then start to grow.

Is it necessary to test for mold?

According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Association (EPA), if visible mold is present, testing is usually unnecessary. There are no EPA or government standards that have been established for mold or mold spore levels. The CDC does not recommend routine sampling and testing of mold. Tolerable or acceptable limits of mold exposure for humans have not been defined, and since individuals vary in their susceptibility to mold, testing cannot reliably predict the degree of health risks from any occurrence of mold.

When mold has been identified and cleanup procedures have been performed, sampling and testing may be carried out by qualified professionals to determine that adequate cleaning has occurred.

Services We Provide

  • Mold / Fungi / Mildew Cleanup & Remediation
  • Mold Testing - Pre & Post Testing
  • Clean Air Certifications - Home Sales
  • Soda or Dry Ice Blasting Of Wood Structures
  • Antimicrobial Applications & Disinfecting
  • Drainage, Moisture Control, Tiles, Water Ways
  • Crawlspace Work, Dry Down and Clean Up
  • Sewage in Crawlspace & Water Cleanup

5534 Anderson Drive • Van Buren, AR 72956 •  479-783-5717